Tuesday, August 21, 2012

John 2:1-12 Water to Wine

Water to WIne I by airguy1988
Water to WIne I, a photo by airguy1988 on Flickr.

Jesus Changes Water Into Wine

1 On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, 2 and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. 3 When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.”
 4 Woman,   why do you involve me?” Jesus replied. My hour has not yet come.”
 5 His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”
 6 Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons.
 7 Jesus said to the servants, Fill the jars with water; so they filled them to the brim.
 8 Then he told them, Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.”
They did so, 9 and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside 10 and said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”
 11 What Jesus did here in Cana of Galilee was the first of the signs through which he revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him.
 12 After this he went down to Capernaum with his mother and brothers and his disciples. There they stayed for a few days.

                                                                                                                                                      John 2:1-12

Why did Jesus turn the water into wine?  Several reasons.  One reason is that his mother asked him to.  The fifth commandment tells us to "Honor your father and mother."  Another reason was help the groom save face.  Running out of wine was a serious offense.  Yet another reason was to show his glory so that his new disciples would believe.

Jesus was setting an example for us to follow.  When his mother asked him to do it he asked her, "Woman, why do you involve me?  My time has not yet come."  As a child my mother would often ask me to do something I didn't want to do.  I would like to say I followed Jesus' example and did what I was asked, but that would be a lie.  I have broken the fifth commandment more times than I can count. Jesus sets a perfect example of how we are to honor our parents request. 

God loves us and wants the best for us.  Jeremiah 29:11 says that God has "plans to prosper you and not to harm you."  Running out of wine would have hurt the grooms reputation.  This could possibly meant lost wages, missing out on the promotion at work.  The fact that Jesus cares about the reputation of one man tells me that he cares for me on a very personal level.

The most important reason is that He revealed his glory for all to see.  In this miracle Jesus shows us that he came to bring joy not sadness.  It was a foreshadowing of another "third day" when He would reveal His glory by rising from the grave.   A time when He gave us his blood as our wine to take away our sins. 

If this is the first time hearing the good news of Jesus Christ, and you want to follow Him, you too can know his joy. The peace that passes all understanding. All you have to do is ask Christ into your heart and ask him to forgive your sins. He stands at the door, ready to come in. If you would like to know Jesus and God the father, please pray the following prayer. Or, you can contact me at jeremylail@gmail.com and I will be more than happy to pray with you.


Heavenly Father, have mercy on me, a sinner. I believe in you and that your word is true. I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of the living God and that he died on the cross so that I may now have forgiveness for my sins and eternal life. I know that without you in my heart my life is meaningless. I believe in my heart that you, Lord God, raised Him from the dead. Please Jesus forgive me, for every sin I have ever committed or done in my heart, please Lord Jesus for give me and come into my heart as my personal Lord and Savior today. I need you to be my Father and my friend. I give you my life and ask you to take full control from this moment on; I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment