Wednesday, November 7, 2012

"This One Thing" (Part 1)

This One Thing (Part 1)
Psalm 27
November 4, 2012
Scott Howard

  • The Brutal Assessment...of David
  1. David sees devastation ---> Psalm 27:10  "Though my father and mother forsake me..."
  2. David sees desertion ---> Psalm 27:12  "Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes, for false witnesses rise up aganst me, breathing out violience."
  3. David sees danger ---> Psalm 27:2  "When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh, when my enemies and my foes attack me..."
  • The Brutal Assessment...of Believers
  1. We see conflict in our lives ---> John 15:18 & 20  "If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first...Remember the words I spoke to you: 'No servant is greater than his master.'  If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also."
  2. We see sin in the world ---> Genesis 6:5 "The Lord saw how great man's wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time."
  3. We see an adversary in Scripture --->  1 Peter 5:8 "Be self-controlled and alert.  Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."
**So how do we navigate in this fallen world?
  • A Single-Minded Appeal...
Psalm 27:4 "One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple."

The shock of the appeal...when the enemy army is literally encamped around David...
  • David does not ask first for Deliverance
  • David asks first for God Himself---for the very presence of God Almighty
In our language today:
I want to experience the presence of God.  I want to dwell or to be with God.

It's not necessarily about the first words we utter, but it is about the disposition of our hearts.  It doesn't mean that we should not cry out to God for help.  There's nothing wrong with appealing to God, but if the only time we call on God is when we're in a crisis, then there's something wrong with our relationship with God.

What was lost in Eden (at the fall of man) is gained through Christ and is perfected in Heaven.  When we get saved, we get God!

John 17:3 "Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent."
Philippians 3:7-8 "But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ.  What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things.  I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ..."
Colossians 3:3-4 "For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.  When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory."
Revelation 21:3 "And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, 'Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them.  They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God.'"

It's not knowing of God, but knowing Him personally, having a relationship with Him; this is how to dwell with God while in this fallen world.

No comments:

Post a Comment