Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Thirty Days to Live / Message #3 sermon notes

July 22, 2012
Series: Thirty Days to Live / Message #3
Sermon: Leaving a Godly Legacy / 2 Tim 4:6
Pastor Scott Howard

Series passage:
"Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be.  Remind me that my days are numbered, and that my life is fleeing away.  My life is no longer than the width of my hand.  An entire lifetime is just a moment to you; human existence is but a breath."  --Psalm 39:4-5

Sermon passage:
"For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure."
--2 Timothy 4:6

The importance of leaving a Godly Legacy:

In order to leave a Godly Legacy, we must...
1.  We're going to have to say the words that God wants us to say.
      -Express your words of love, wisdom, encouragement, etc. before it's too late!
"My son, pay attention to what I say; turn your ear to my words.  Do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart; for they are life to those who find them and health to one's whole body."
---Proverbs 4:20-22  (Solomon to his son)

     If you only had 30 days to live and you're going to speak to those people who are most important to you, how would you finish this sentence?   "Above all else, here's what I want you to know..."

2.  We're going to have to do what God wants us to do.
     -What is your unfinished task, or assignment?
"However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me---the task of testifying to the good news of God's grace."  ---Acts 20:24

3.  We're going to have to live how God wants us to live.
"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves.  Do what it says." ---James 1:22
     -Let the Word change you.
     -Live by the convictions of God, instead of by your preferences. 

What is a conviction?  It is a belief on the inside that always shows up on the outside.

What is a preference?  It is a strong desire which you will compromise when the cost becomes too high. 

So, to leave a Godly legacy we must...
Say....Do....Live....right!  

No comments:

Post a Comment