Friday, July 27, 2012

Changing your legacy

After hearing the sermon on Sunday, one thought has obsessed my thoughts.



How do you change your legacy?


What if you legacy is addiction?  What if your legacy is neglect?  What if your legacy is ignorance?  What if it is something more subtle?  What if your legacy is stubborn pride?


How do you change your legacy?


In the sermon, we learned that we need to say what God wants us to say, to do what God wants us to do, to live as God wants us to live.  Honestly where I am right now with God, that's fine with me.  I will say that I often hesitate to the point of reticence, so God has to shove me into something.  Once I get that first shove, I'm all in and ready to go.  So I am not too worried about the legacy I am leaving.  I know if I keep following God, facing my weaknesses, and searching for Him above others I know my legacy will be fine.  I don't mean to downplay the difficulty of all that.  It has taken me years of struggle with God to get to this point.  It hasn't been easy.  If you are going through this, I would love to pray with you and for you.  I know myself and several other church members would love to answer any questions that you have and give encouragement.  Email us at srwcprayers@gmail.com.


The legacy that has been consuming my thoughts is the legacy given to me.  How do I change the legacy given to me?  How do I change the legacy that pervades my family?  If I am being really honest, I'm going to say that I don't think I can.  I don't feel powerful enough to change what has been given to me.  I am relatively comfortable changing what I am giving to the future generations.  I am not comfortable changing what has been given to me.  I suppose that the same advice applies.  We need to say what God wants us to say, to do what God wants us to do, to live as God wants us to live.  Saying what needs to be said might break a heart.  Can I do that?  Doing what needs to be done could break a belief in who they think you are? Can I do that?  Living as God wants me to live can make them uncomfortable with who I am?  Can I do that?


















In my strength, I can not.  With God's strength, I can.  And that is the key to it all.  Not me, but God.  

No comments:

Post a Comment