Thursday, June 28, 2012

Gospel of John: The Word

Someone once told me that the best place to start ready reading the Bible was the Gospel of John. The opening of the book is like something straight out of Dickens. John 3:16 is probably the most quoted verse in the entire bible. The book is also an eyewitness account of the ministry, death, and resurrection of Christ. So I figure if you are thirsting for the good news, John is the best place to start. John 1:1-5

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

Wow! So beautiful. The Word that John talks about here is Jesus Christ. Christ has been around since before time began. Jesus was with God and Jesus was God. Through Christ all things were made. Everything. There is not one thing in this universe that God did not create. Verse 4 is one of the most profound statements about who Christ is. Christ is life! Our bodies will die, but through Christ we will not taste the second death of being thrown into the lake of fire. He is also the light of all mankind shining in the darkness. So when things are at their worst and darkness is closing in, turn to Christ and He will light your way. To paraphrase and old REO Speed Wagon Song, He’s a candle in the window on a cold dark winters night. In the last half of verse 5 John is proclaiming Christ victory over darkness. A victory that was gained when He rose from the dead. To sum up what John is saying, Christ was here in the beginning. Christ is God. God made EVERYTHING and without Him NOTHING was made. Most importantly, Christ is the life and the light of the world who defeated darkness.

If you don't have the light of Christ in your life, and you want it, please pray this prayer.

Jesus, my world is so dark. Everywhere I turn there is nothing but darkness. Lord, please shine your light into my life and show me the way. I want the life that is inside you. Heavenly Father, have mercy on me, a sinner. I believe in you and that your word is true. I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of the living God and that he died on the cross so that I may now have forgiveness for my sins and eternal life. I know that without you in my heart my life is meaningless. I believe in my heart that you, Lord God, raised Him from the dead. Please Jesus forgive me, for every sin I have ever committed or done in my heart, please Lord Jesus for give me and come into my heart as my personal Lord and Savior today. I need you to be my Father and my friend. I give you my life and ask you to take full control from this moment on; I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment