Friday, April 12, 2013

From the Pastor's Heart - April

"I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut." Revelation 3:8

Each one of us are given a number of opportunities every single day. It is what we do with those opportunities that matters. As I look back on all the opportunities that the Lord has given me, there are so many that I did not take advantage of and I now see the affect that has had on my life and the lives of those around me- be it family, friends, neighbors, etc...

I realize that I cannot do anything about the opportunities in the past that I have let slip by. The only thing I can do now is to not allow future opportunities to fade into obilivion. I believe that SRWC is sitting on the brink of some incredible, God-sent opportunities. Opportunities to grow; opportunities to see our lost loved ones and friends saved; opportunities to transform our community and impact others for the glory of God.

As I look at Jesus' letter to the church at Philadelphia, I feel like He could be writing directly to SRWC. As with all the other churches, Christ told them He knew their deeds. The entire panorama of the church's witness was before Him and Jesus gives them words of commendation for their faithfulness. Because of their faithful testimony and witness, Jesus places before them an open door. Most likely the door Christ opened for them was the same one He had earlier opened for Paul at Ephesus, a door of effective service (1 Cor. 16:9).

The Lord of the Harvest was saying that if they would walk through the door of opportunity, He was opening they would find the fields white unto the harvest.

It would not be easy, for this church had only a little strength. It was not a large church. It had not many significant members. It lacked financial strength, but with what spiritual strength it had, it was faithful in using for the glory of Christ. It would be wise to invest our life not on the basis of where there are large numbers or finances, but where the people are faithfully dependent on the Lord.

Christ also entrusted them with an open door because they had kept Jesus' Word. They were committed to the Word of God and would not depart from its teachings. This open door of opportunity was there for this church because they did not deny Jesus' name. In spite of open opposition and persecution they continued bearing witness of and to Jesus Christ. May the Lord help us to learn from the church at Philadelphia.

The door is open in front of us SRWC -  what will we do with it? The Lord is putting us in a great position to make a difference in our community and in the lives of your families.

GOD HELP US NOT LET THIS OPPORTUNITY SLIP AWAY!

To the church of Sandy Ridge Wesleyan the Lord says,: "I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut." May we have faith to walk through it!!

Believing in you,
Pastor Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment