Wednesday, July 10, 2013

God Can Use You

July 7, 2013
God Can Use You
John 17
Charles Patton

Jesus used many methods of communication, such as dialogue, parables, word pictures, and object lessons.  He even used prayer to communicate with the disciples and with us. 

John 17 is known as the High Priestly Prayer; Jesus praying.  In this prayer, Jesus reminds us that, as believers, we have many blessings, but we also have responsibilities:

Our Responsibilities:
  • To reveal the nature of God to a lost and dying world. --John 17:6 "I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world.  They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word."  Exodus 34:5-7 describes the nature of God as merciful, gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth.
    1. As believers, we are to reveal the nature of God in our lives.  (mercy, grace, longsuffering, goodness, forgiveness and love)
    2. Does the world see Jesus in us?
  • To be custodians of the Word of God.  John 17:8 "For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them.  They knew with certainty that I came from you and they believed that you sent me."
  • To glorify Christ at all times in our actions and words.  John 17:10 "All I have is yours, and all you have is mine.  And glory has come to me through them."
  • To take our Christianity outside the walls of the church.  John 17:18 "As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world."
Our Problem:
  • We gladly accept the blessings but often neglect, or even reject, the responsibilities. 
Why?
  1. We are not totally surrendered to Jesus Christ
  2. We are so wrapped up in the world (work, social life, etc) that we don't have the time or the energy to be involved in God's work.
  3. We don't believe that God can use us.
It all boils down to how available you are.  God is more interested in your availability than He is in your ability.

God looks for people He can count on to be there!  Make yourself available to Him, and see what God can do through you!

No comments:

Post a Comment