Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The JFG Brand of the Gospel

May 19, 2013
The JFG Brand of the Gospel
Galatians 2
Scott Howard

Justification by Faith through Grace

In the following text, Paul is saying that even he, as a Jew, knows he cannot be justified to God simply through Jewish Law.  But rather, he is justified by faith in Jesus, through the grace of God.

"We who are Jews by birth and not 'Gentile sinners' know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ.  So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law n o one will be justified.  If, while we seek to be justified in Christ, it becomes evident that we ourselves are sinners, does that mean that Christ promotes sin? Absolutely not!  If I rebuild what I destroyed, I prove that I am a lawbreaker.  For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God.  I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.  The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.  I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!" 
--Galatians 2:15-21

Faith= Right Belief with Right Behavior
We are Justified by Faith

Justification is the Gracious act of God, by which God declares a sinner to be righteous!  How does that happen?
  • Solely on the basis of faith in Jesus Christ
God takes the righteousness of Jesus and attributes it to the sinner.  He didn't overlook sin, but our sins were nailed to the cross with Jesus.
  • Through faith in Christ we are accepted to God
We are Dead and Alive
  • We die to sin
  • We die to self
  • Jesus covers our sin
  • Jesus changes our lives
We are not in debt to Christ, we are indwelt by Christ.  He lives in and through us.
  • God's pleasure in you is based on Christ's performance for you.  Trust Christ each day to live through you.
  • Christ is Passionate about you, He paid a price for you.
Praise God for His Grace!  That we can be justified by faith in Jesus alone, through God's grace alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment