Tuesday, December 11, 2012

From the Pastor's Heart: December



"Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow."
James 1:17

Many of you have heard me tell the story of when I was five years old and received a very unexpected gift under the Christmas tree on Christmas morning. It all began when the Sears & Roebuck Christmas Wish Book came in the mail. I eagerly opened up the cataloug to the toy section and began to leaf through the pages of toy after toy. WOW - my mind was filled with all kinds of wishes and wants. My eyes became wider and wider with excitement as I turned the pages to see that bicycle with the banana seat, the set of Legos I had been wanting, the NBA All Pro-Basketball (Yes, even at the age of five I loved basketball), the race car set with the OFFICIAL track and everything - and the list goes on. But then my eyes fell on what I really wanted. I had found it - an official, professional tool set. Yes, as nice as those other things were on my list,  for some strange reason I wanted a tool set. And this one was a doozy! It has the genuine leather tool belt, a real metal hammer, (Not the plastic kind), a saw (Don't worry it was plastic!), a screwdriver, and several more pieces which at that age I had no clue what they were but they sure looked cool. I had found it! Move over Tim-the-Tool-Man here come Scott-the Tool-Man Howard. I ran to my Mom and Dad and I told them I had found what I wanted for Christmas; I wanted a tool set. Now, in my excitement, I made a couple mistakes. My biggest mistake was not showing my Mom and Dad the picture of the tool set in the S & R Wish Book. And then what I didn't realize at such a young age was that I did not pronounce my words very well which would prove to be very detrimental in this particular case.

Well, Christmas morning came and I ran into the living room fully expecting to see my genuine, authentic, regulation tool set underneath the Christmas tree. But there under the tree, I did not find a genuine leather tool belt, a real hammer, or even a plastic saw. What I did find were little cups and saucers which were the pieces of a complete TEA SET. That's right - my parents got their five year old SON a tea set for Christmas instead of a tool set. It appears that when I told them I wanted a TOOL set, it sounded like I was saying TEA set. Now, needless to say I was very disappointed. But as I think back on that Christmas in 1966, it just reminds me of James 1:17 and the fact that my Lord has NEVER disappointed me with the things I have received from Him. Especailly when it comes to the gift of His Son, Jesus Christ! When I think of the gift of Jesus, it definitely rings true that... "every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above." And I am so thankful that when I asked Him to forgive me of my sins and save my soul, He knew exactly what I was asking for and clearly understood the desire of my heart. Thank You Heavenly Father for the gift of your Son, Jesus Christ and the wonderful gift of our salvation. 

May you and your family have a Christ-filled Christmas this year.

Pastor Scott and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment